Welcome to my blog! People wanted to know what I'm up to, & this seemed like the easiest, most time-efficient way to do so. Enjoy!
I got here safely yesterday pretty uneventfully, just a bit of excitement with the guy who picked me up from the airport - he took me to the wrong dorm after lying & telling me mine was closed. I was pretty pleased, as I'm sure you can imagine. Several hours later though, I was happily settled into my dorm room, which is quite nice. My roommate isnt here yet, so I'm guessing she will be Egyptian since international student orientation started today.
Speaking of orientation, it was pretty boring. We were essentially talked at for hours about banks and health insurance and crossing the street and parties at the Marines' house near the US Embassy. Crossing the street is a fascinating experience that isnt nearly as hard/dangerous as it was made out to be. people just run across at random, & the cars dont even slow down, & no one ever stays in their lane - its chaos. From watching it so far though, what makes it work is that everyone knows the cars wont stop, so pedestrians dont expect them to, and so they time their running accordingly. very interesting.
I dont yet have anything particularly thrilling to relate, I just thought I would set this up & see what happens. I'm having fun thus far, just meeting people & trying not to succuumb to jet lag. Yay!
Thursday, August 23
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment